STEM – WEST WALES (Carmarthen)
‘Brilliant Block Play! – The world through the eyes of a child’
Block play is the perfect way to support the four purposes. It offers a vast range of open-ended experiences, enriches every curriculum area and supports child development. Through block play children may investigate the basic principles of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – not to mention problem solving, thinking and social skills! Block play fosters a child’s natural curiosity.
- identify the progression of block play from Nursery – Year 2 and beyond
- provide guidance on how to set up high-quality block play areas ensuring progression from Nursery and beyond
- highlight the importance of using open-ended, natural and recycled materials to enhance block play areas
- draw attention to the role of the adult in this open-ended area of continuous provision
- share exemplary practice demonstrating the versatility of block play and how it supports all areas of learning