Planning for Progression in the Teaching of Reading in KS2 – SOUTH WALES (Cardiff)
Guided reading and beyond. What comes after guided reading?
How can a school use different reading approaches to help pupils to become increasingly independent readers? This course will demonstrate how to plan for progression in the teaching of reading by combining guided reading with group reading and reciprocal teaching.
- provide a model for planning the teaching of reading so that support is gradually withdrawn leading pupils to independence
- look at guided reading activities that are quick and easy to prepare
- look at strategies that can be used to deliver purposeful group reading that develops critical and analytical skills
- explore how reciprocal teaching can be set up and used to provide pupils with a safe environment in which to develop skills
- suggest a timescale for using the different approaches in KS2