Numerical Reasoning – SOUTH WALES (Cardiff)
Reasoning is fundamental to knowing and doing mathematics, it underpins the other numeracy strands of the LNF and yet it is often the area that is neglected or considered difficult to teach.
- to answer the question “What is reasoning?"
- to identify the specific skills that learners need to develop in order to tackle reasoning tasks confidently and independently
- look at how reasoning skills develop and progress within a year and across key stages
- look at strategies and approaches for developing reasoning skills in all mathematics lessons
- discuss the importance of teacher questioning and mathematical communication