- to answer the question “What is reasoning?"
- to identify the specific skills that learners need to develop in order to tackle reasoning tasks confidently and independently
- look at how reasoning skills develop and progress within a year and across key stages
- look at strategies and approaches for developing reasoning skills in all mathematics lessons
- discuss the importance of teacher questioning and mathematical communication
Course Presenter: Lynwen Barnsley
MATHEMATICS & NUMERACY – Lynwen provides training and support for schools in all aspects of mathematics and numeracy.
Lynwen’s training courses focus on the why and how of teaching mathematics, providing practical ideas and approaches that ensure learners “make sense” of maths and develop as independent mathematical thinkers.
Her training covers a wide range of ideas and topics, such as developing numerical reasoning, the concrete-pictorial-abstract approach, bar modelling, mastery, problem-solving, mathematical communication and thinking, fluency and flexibility with mathematical ideas, assessment for learning, creativity and using numeracy across the curriculum in meaningful ways. Her Digit Dog character and blog are used in many classrooms to develop mathematical thinking and reasoning in young learners.
Lynwen also works across the UK as a consultant for Numicon and Inspire Maths (OUP) and has many years experience as a CAME and Let’s Think tutor.
Course Location: South Wales
START TIME: 8.30am coffee and registration for a 9.00am start