NEW Drama for Oracy SOUTH WALES (Cardiff)
This mainly practical course will exemplify and clarify how teachers can use drama strategies as ‘talk’ frames, to help develop oracy across the new curriculum in Wales. It will focus on how to support and develop different types of talk, within shared, imagined situations and contexts.
The course will include the following:
- Oracy in imagined worlds
- The Drama Contract
- Drama Strategies as Talk Frames
- The role of the teacher
- A Foundation Phase ‘Drama for Oracy’ lesson
- A KS2 ‘Drama for Oracy’ lesson
Course Presenter: Patrice Baldwin
DRAMA - Patrice Baldwin is an internationally renowned ‘Drama for Learning’ teacher, consultant and trainer, having been a Primary Headteacher and Local Authority Arts Education Adviser, School Improvement Partner and inspector. She was President of the International Drama Theatre and Education Association (IDEA) and Chair of National Drama and was a national curriculum consultant and the editorial expert for Primary Drama (for the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority). She was also a BBC Education series consultant and prolific scriptwriter and is a Director of the Council for Subject Associations.
Patrice created and directed ‘Drama for Learning and Creativity’ (D4LC), a research based school improvement initiative, that was supported by NESTA, QCA, Arts Council England, National Drama and IDEA and was presented at UNESCO’s 2nd World Creativity Conference in South Korea.
Patrice is a visiting Drama and Education lecturer at many universities, both in the UK and worldwide. She was honoured as a Visiting Fellow at the University of East Anglia and as a Cultural Leader for Brock University, Niagara. She has published several books, e.g. ‘With Drama in Mind,’ ‘Improving Writing Through Drama,’ ‘Teaching Literacy Through Drama,’ ‘The Primary Drama Handbook’ and others. Her next book is ‘Process Drama for Second Language Learning and Teaching’ (Bloomsbury, October 2021).
‘Patrice Baldwin is a rarity. She is one of the few primary drama experts left and quite possibly the most experienced and effective drama primary teacher. Teachers on her courses, come away feeling more confident and with a broader repertoire. Her work is excellent!’ Pie Corbett
‘Absolutely brilliant! Patrice’s course opened doors for colleagues which they would not have believed possible. In everything she does, she walks delegates through the materials, and discusses the impact this has on children’s learning. She uses drama conventions to create opportunities for pupils to secure their learning in new and deeper ways.’ Mary Myatt
Course Location: South Wales - Cardiff
Future Inn's Conference Covid Policy
- Meetings will be arranged based on 1m social distancing.
- Anti-bac stations will continue to be in place.
- Social distancing encouraged in all public areas.
- Enhanced cleaning of public areas & high-level touch areas, this includes conference area.
- Staff members continuing to wear masks and guests asked to wear masks in all public areas.
- One way system when entering and exiting hotel.
- Conference guests asked to complete self-disclosure form on arrival.
- Individual water bottles will be provided.
- Tea/coffee served in training rooms.
- Lunches (in individual bags) served in training room with a choice of standard, vegetarian, vegan or specific dietary requirement – if possible, please advise of gluten free or other dietary requirements in advance.