FP Mastering Mathematics– what matters – SOUTH WALES (Cardiff)
An opportunity to unpick and understand the big ideas and what matters in mathematics, and to explore the teaching approaches that ensure learners develop a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.
Course objectivesThis day will be “hands-on” - full of practical ideas, strategies and techniques for developing “number sense” in young children. We will consider ways to ensure that young learners have a firm foundation in mathematical learning so that they develop into confident, independent mathematical thinkers and problem solvers.
- consider the mastery approach to teaching mathematics and what this looks like in FP classrooms;
- explore, through practical activities, the use of the concrete-pictorial-abstract approach to develop deep understanding of mathematical concepts;
- focus on the development of conceptual understanding so that children have a “feel” for number and can apply their skills in a range of contexts;
- look at the key concepts, the “big ideas”, that children need to understand in order to become fluent in all areas of maths;
- show how this approach meets the purposes and aims of Successful Futures.